Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
Origin: The dried or fresh root of the ginger plant.
Claims: Decreases joint pain and reduces inflammation in people with osteoarthritis (OA) and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). Increases circulation in people with Raynaud’s phenomenon.
What we know: Used in Asian medicine for centuries, ginger has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties similar to ibuprofen and COX-2 inhibitors such as celecoxib (Celebrex). Ginger also suppresses leukotrienes (inflammatory molecules) and switch off certain inflammatory genes, potentially making it more effective than conventional pain relievers. Ginger also reduces nausea and vomiting and is a proven treatment for motion sickness and chemotherapy-induced nausea.
Studies: In a 2012 Vitro study, a specialized ginger extract called Eurovita Extract 77 reduced inflammatory reactions in RA synovial cells as effectively as steroids.
Ginger also has been studied for OA. In one trial of more than 200 patients, Eurovita Extract 77 improved OA pain after standing and walking.
A 2005 study showed ginger killed Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium that causes stomach ulcers.
- Drinking Ginger and Cinnamon water regularly.
- Using ginger paste in everyday cooking.
- Drinking Ginger Milk [Suku Paal]
- Using thin slices of ginger in a salt-lime juice mixture improves digestion.
- Ginger juice with Tulsi leaves and honey can cure cold and cough.
Ginger to treat Arthritis:
Ginger can be used in few recipes which can help to treat Arthritis. The recipes of Ginger Tea & Ginger & Turmeric Drink are listed below.
1. Ginger Tea:
– Have a 1” of ginger & cut into thin slices
– Boil a glass of water
– Add ginger slices & allow it for steep for 10 mins
– Discard the ginger slices & sip the tea gradually
– Take ginger tea 2-3 times a day
2. Ginger & Turmeric Drink:
– Add 1 teaspoon of fresh grated turmeric & ginger root to a glass of warm water
– Allow it to steep for 5 to 10 minutes after adding a teaspoon of pepper into it
– Stir well & drink up
– Consume this concoctione to 2 times every day